Passing the torch....



So it's one of those rare days that I actually feel happy and for-filled even though I had a stressful week full of chaos , miscommunications,  trails and triumphs . 

Yesterday I was paid the nicest compliment from a boy named Anu in my leadership class here in Sri Lanka. 
I was teaching the concept of being proactive. I said who can give me an example of being "proactive". Anu raises his hand enthusiastically and says... "Sister Sunny (apparently thats me) , just now when you arrive at the boys home you saw the dogs eye was with injury & right away you look how to help make a plan and wash the dogs eye and put the cream."

I was so impressed that Anu put both this life event and our workshop lesson together ! Way to go buddy:)

At the end of the workshop I took the boys with me and taught them how to make the saline  solution to flush out the dogs eye and how to apply the antibiotic cream. 

I said  "ok , now you all can be proactive too, this is your 1st project ".

They all seemed happy to be given some responsibility ... And I was happy the dog would be cared for. 

(Poor doggen)

Perhaps the moral of this small story is ; sometimes leading by example makes the most impact, you never know who is watching and learning from you. As my week was tense with the overwhelm of saying yes to to many projects all at once.....sometimes  it's important to remember to give responsibility to someone else and not think you have to do it all yourself. 



*(I know my past volunteers and friends are having a big laugh at my last comment as they know I'll still try and do it myself anyway.... I'm working in it!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But someone else will fix it

Annie’s Gift – Finding the children

“I appreciate you because you help heal us” When a child in a foreign country tells you this, it is not something you easily forget.