Annie’s Gift – Finding the children


Annie’s Gift 


Finding the children from Annie’s foster home in South Africa
By Sunyata Choyce


“Are these all your kids?” the woman at the sales checkout asked. 

I looked at the five foster kids with me that I just picked up from their new home. 
They were all staring at me with big smiles on their faces as the lady asked her question.  

What was I supposed to say? 
These kids just suddenly lost the only mom they ever knew a few months ago. 
Her name was Annie. I called her Auntie Annie.

I winked at the kids and said to the teller, "Yes these are my kids, all Annie’s kids are like my kids”.

Tears welled up in everyone's eyes.It was then the woman in the shop realized she hit a nerve with us all. Perhaps I should have somehow given her a heads up that these were children with no parents, whose foster mom just died. I mean what was I supposed to say “No these are not my children, there nobody’s children” ?



You see, I made it a mission when I came back to South Africa to find some of the kids who use to live with Annie in her foster home before she died. I worked with her kids often over many years as a children's aid worker from Canada. They stayed with me in my home, took our workshops and volunteered in the community as part of COLORS mentorship program.

Annie's foster home back in the day

From everyone, I found five of these kids living with another “tunni.” They now lived in the same community called Hornley but everything else has changed. Once I found them, I told the new house mom I would take the kids sometime for a day trip. The kids were so excited for this day, so when I pulled up, were they ever so excited to jump in the car.

First, I let them pick out their own lunch for our picnic. (Let's just say some of their food choices were not the healthiest). I asked them what they had eaten last, but no one said anything. I decided to get some extra groceries to give to the home of the new foster mom too.

Then there was a bigger surprise. We went to a clothing store.
I told them they could each pick out an outfit. Many of my friends and family pulled money together for the children and I could tell these children needed new clothes before winter.



Here in the clothing shop, these children made the most practical and humble choices. Let me tell you, I was impressed. They chose underwear, warm coats, socks and outfits for church.  

The worker in the store helped us shop because I had gone there earlier that day telling her I would need her help when I brought in the children. 

We had well over 1000 rand worth of clothing on the checkout table.

Then the question came, "Are these all your children?"

Somewhere between the response, the tears and the cash-out, she only charged us 100 rand, (less than $10) for five outfits.

I thanked her and we walked out with the clothes. One of the girls, Elzanne, had a shocked look on her face and asked me, “Tunni Sunny did we just get it all for 100 rand?” I also looked a bit confused and said, “yes, it seems we did.”



"Did it really only cost that much, Sunny, really?" Dino asked.

“You know,” I said, “I bet Annie whispered to that lady to do that, Annie wanted to give you a gift.”

"Ahhh, yes,” Elzanne said. “Annie would do that. She tells us to do things all the time too." The kids all nodded their heads, very convinced that Annie's presence was still by their side looking out for them.

Annie 

 I left the conversation at that, lost in my own thoughts as we drove off.

I wondered ‘Were the children really hearing Annie's voice?’  What I had said, as an offhanded comment, they took as a solid truth. Annie must have really told that cashier to give us the clothes so cheap. Why not!

After shopping, we sat next to the riverbed eating our lunch and making crafts.



As the day went on, the kids told me stories about seeing Annie’s ghost in the doorway, by their beds or walking them to school. 

Tian, a young man I used to often take care of when he was young, spoke. It was hard to understand him at first as he is severely challenged both mentally and physically. He spoke in broken words about Annie's visits. The children told me Annie visits Tian the most.

Tian

The kids laughed and began tossing the memories of the old days around. I was touched to have them share their thoughts, feelings and memories with me -- memories of Annie's soup kitchen, the youth mentorship program and kids’ party days with Annie playing the electric guitar for Jesus. 

Then Tian took his soda and put it up in the air and said, "Cheers to Annie" and we all did the same. "CHEERS, ANNIE. WE LOVE YOU," we all said.  



The kids suddenly put their heads down to pray for Annie. They also prayed for one of our past volunteers who was very sick in Germany that I told them about. They said how thankful they were that I came to find them, for this day, and of course for their new clothes which we called ‘Annie’s gift’.

Poppy blowing bubbles


We all finished our lunch and ran into the river.
Everyone had a great time splashing about and I was thankful to give them this happy moment in time.


To help and see more about other projects assisting children in 
South Africa, Sri Lanka and Madagascar 
please see my website 


Comments

  1. Thanks Sunny, lovely day out. Best wishes to Annie's children

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

But someone else will fix it

“I appreciate you because you help heal us” When a child in a foreign country tells you this, it is not something you easily forget.